Wednesday, February 20, 2013

You Had Me at Hello by Mhairi McFarlane

*****5 stars
"You Had Me at Hello" is a fitting name for this book. It will have you hooked from the first chapter on. I can even pin point the one thing that held me. McFarlane's writing is fresh and witty. This book reminded me of experiences with my first chick lit books of Mirian Keyes, Lisa Young, Sophia Kinsella. They were quick dialect, fun interaction between characters and you felt connected to the story. I truly enjoyed the way this was written, with excerpts from Ben's and Rachel's college years to give you enough back story. I have read some great books recently and I will definitely be adding this author to my watch list. Thank you for a wonderful escape :)

Book Jacket Summary:
What happens when the one that got away comes back? Find out in this sparkling debut from Mhairi McFarlane.
‘Think of the great duos of history. We're just like them.’
‘You mean like Kylie and Jason? Torvill and Dean? Sonny and Cher?’
‘I think you’ve missed the point, Rachel.’
Rachel and Ben. Ben and Rachel. It was them against the world. Until it all fell apart. It’s been a decade since they last spoke, but when Rachel bumps into Ben one rainy day, the years melt away.
They’d been partners in crime and the best of friends. But life has moved on: Ben is married. Rachel is not. Yet in that split second, Rachel feels the old friendship return. And along with it, the broken heart she’s never been able to mend.

No comments:

Post a Comment