Monday, January 19, 2015

I'll Take New York by Miranda Dickinson

**** 4 stars
Really liked this book. I am officially a Miranda Dickinson fan. This is the second book in the last couple months I have read of her and I can say that they both have been solid reads. I love her characters and her descriptions of the city in this book. I also loved the ongoing question on what's in store for Bea. My only complaint is I didn't realize that I should have read "Fairytale of New York" first, as Rosie and Ed are returning characters and you are able to see how they are doing. Fortunately, I liked the bit I saw of them in "I'll Take New York", that I am going to have to go back and read "Fairytale..."

I don't often take a quote or excerpt from a book, but something about this paragraph, which was written to Bea by her Grandmother Dot in a letter, just struck a chord for me and I wanted to share.
"For my first letter, I have enlisted the help of one of your Grandpa Georges chums. Do you remember he used to refer to famous poets like that? He considered them his friends "as all writers of words that touch our hearts should be considered"."



Book Jacket Summary:
Have you ever given up on love?
When her boyfriend lets her down for the last time, Brooklyn bookshop owner Bea James makes a decision – no more. No more men, no more heartbreak, and no more pain.
Psychiatrist Jake Steinmann is making a new start too, leaving his broken marriage behind in San Francisco. From now on there'll just be one love in his life: New York.
At a party where they seem to be the only two singletons, Bea and Jake meet, and decide there’s just one thing for it. They will make a pact: no more relationships.

But the city has other plans . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment