Thursday, June 24, 2010

About Time by Niamh Shaw


***2 stars
I saw this book and thought the synopsis sounded good. I unfortunately read some reviews before reading. I really thought the book was fresh in her character concepts but found it lacking toward the end. Lara is an adult and beginning a new chapter in her life. She is moving across the country to New York, with her boyfriend Leo. In all the packing and rushing she begins to look back. In her diary, we are introduced to Conn, and so it begins the story of her first love. Much of the book is told in the past tense, which is needed to see the relationships she has had and how she has gotten to where she is. Conn was different as the male lead, which I really liked. You will have to read to understand. I guess my big hang up was when we came back to the present tense the book was ending. It felt as though you were almost left empty. I did however enjoy the book, just don't think it would be one I push off to my friends.

Book Jacket Summary:
"Starting again is never easy"
But why is Lara so nervous about moving to New York with boyfriend Leonard? It's not like it's the first time she's had to make a fresh start. Of course, there is the small matter of forgetting about socially inept super-geek Conn, who has an annoting habit of making repeat appearances in her love life. From first kiss at school to first love at university to unexpected encounter in Dubai, he just keeps on cropping up! So could New York be the new start Lara needs? It's about time she put the past behind her: Although that's easier said than done....

No comments:

Post a Comment