Monday, September 20, 2010

Kindle???? Do I or Don't I?

I have been lately toying with the idea of getting a Kindle. I know that this isn't my normal format of how I do things. I am not quite sure that anyone actually reads this. This was more of an account of what I have read for myself. I have been a avid reader for several years now. Each fall I have gone and taken my books to the used books stores or passed them off to friends to declutter. As time has gone on and more books have been bought or read, I have noticed I have reread unintentionally. I began then to log all the book titles that I have read by author and would check to be sure that I hadn't previously read them before purchasing, but found that at times, names or authors didn't always jog my memory but usually the book jacket summary would. I thought that this blog would be a good journal or way of keeping track of what I read, as well as maybe find some readers with similar interests to give me suggestions of new books or authors to try.

I have found once again, as I read about 2 books a week at least on average that I am at a collection that is taking over my book shelves, and hate to part with them, as some I will want to go back to. I have for some time been thinking about the Kindle. I am glad that I hadn't gone out and splurged immediately when they first began as I am reading they have been making improvements with each model, what a waste of money that would have been. Although, I may not be much of a writer I am a techno geek and enjoy all the gadgets that are out there. I love my Nintendo DS, Ipod touch, and DROID (really love my DROID) I have uploaded the Kindle app to my DROID and have found it to be ok. My problems are more Droid related, such as small screen for reading with back light (which isn't good for eyes) and it really drains my battery.

I guess I am a little worried about investing in the Kindle for two reasons mainly. When I read the reviews and information about how long the battery lasts (weeks) what is the average persons reading time a day for that to be based on? Also, I am a HUGE contemporary fiction (chick lit-kinda hate that term) and even more so love British Lit. How much of a variety is there? Will I find that I am still purchasing a bulk of my books still in paper version due to inability to get them in Kindle Format?

I have up to this point been either purchasing in pre-order, due to favorite authors at Amazon, or used at Amazon, or Amazon UK (shipping kills me along with exchange rate). I have realized the perk to the kindle would be cheaper for newer books and I have always hated buying them used (but financially have to) because I know that author sees none of those proceeds when you purchase them used. At least having the kindle would be supporting the authors that have entertained me at a lower cost than the regular hardback price. At Amazon, you can buy a used book for $.01 but pay $3.99 for shipping (which we all know is over charging) but at a penny, who can argue. So I am then left with the dilemma as to the 200+ books on my shelves and taking over my room from just this past year!

Clutter? I am a stay at home mom who nanny's for a small child. I know that there are options for paperback swap and others, but who wants to lug a one year old up weekly and fight with the city post office. I find that many of the used book stores here in town don't have much of a selection to what I like to read. I hate to take my books up there and with recession only get store credit and not have a want or need to use it? I have even taken my daughter to buy books and dvd's. There are only so many she wants, and as she is now becoming a teenager is showing interest in many of my books (ones with mommy stamp of approval of course:) )I also have the one issue that all my girlfriends are more of the suspense thriller readers and not into my type of genre so there really is no trading out or passing on. I think the only over lap we have had in the past couple years was the Twilight Saga. LOL

So I guess I was looking for some input as to what others have thought of the Kindle. You see my selection of books and can get an idea from my reading list where my interest lies with genre. I would love to hear from you, whether you have one and how you are liking it? Are you able to find the titles that you want? Are you constantly googling and on the fence like myself? Worried that the next new gadget will come out as soon as you finally break down and make the purchase? Just give me your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment