Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

** 2 stars
I don't have the book as I loaned this one out, so no pic, sorry.
I have to admit this isn't one of my normal reads, but at times feel I want to change genre and read something different. I read this book in excitement for the movie and was pulled into it. It was wonderfully told. I think my problem was how sad the content was and that I felt there was no real closure or uplifting moment. When I came away from the book which I read very quickly as hoping to see some resolution or endearing hopeful moment, I was left feeling sad. I guess for me reading is an escape a chance to travel or dream or have a quiet laugh, while having some time to myself. I think that if you are looking for a book that will move you and is a different plot line than you are used to then you may find this enjoyable. For me I have chosen to go back to the romantic suspense and chick lit genre. I am sorry if this has offended.
I would like to say, that I watched the movie and was in awe of the visuals for the movie but found it very slow paced. My husband and I both agreed that it dragged in parts, but was true to the book.


Book Jacket Summary:
Susie Salmon was raped and murdered in 1973, and, from her perch in heaven, she tells the story of what happened to her, watches her family back on earth as they go about their grief-stricken lives, and describes what it's like to be a kid in heaven. Alice Sebold's novel, which draws on some of her own experiences, became a runaway best-seller as soon as it was published. A New York Times Notable Book for 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment