Thursday, April 8, 2010

Society Girls by Sarah Mason


** 2 stars
This book was hard for me to get through. I keep looking at the page number to see how far I was in to see if it was far enough to see if it was going to grip me or not. I did finish it and it was ok. I don't feel I wasted time on it, but am not won over by it. I think that alot of it had to do with the Character Clemmie. She just didn't have any real depth for me. I know that alot of chick lit has very self absorbed characters and you tend to relate to some of their flaws and look forward to their goal. I just felt empty when finishing this book. I love to finish a book with the bare minimum of a smile. There were some cute sub-plots going and although you are able to see a couple of the hidden agendas early on, it did have some funny moments with her families pets.

Book Jacket Summary:
Clemmie Colshannon, a London art appraiser framed (pun intended)by her boyfriend and subsequently fired, retreats to the bosom of her eccentric family in Cornwall to recover. But no sooner has she unpacked her bags than her sister, Holly, an energetic reporter who lives to scoop, enlists Clemmie's derring-do on a juicy story.
It seems that Emma McKellan, who writes the society pages for the Bristol Gazette, has disappeared days before her lavish wedding. As Holly and Clemmie search for clues on the missing bride (relishing the prospect of delicious scandal), they inadvertently steer themselves directly toward trouble.
In times of crisis, the Colshannon clan is always in the thick of things-particularly Clemmie's drama-queen mother, who has an affinity for saving wild animals, and her brother, who goes to outrageous extremes to impress a certain girl and succeeds only in terrifying her. Whether she likes it or not, Clemmie always seems to find herself in the throes of adventure. And sure enough, the whole family is soon fleeting to the south of France...with an ex-convict in hot pursuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment